Data Visualization Meetup Group
Data Visualization Meetup Group Online
Hello, I’m John Brosz, Data Visualization Coordinator at the Taylor Family Digital Library.
The aim of this group is to bring together students and scholars interested in data visualization. Data visualization is a challenge taken on many (if not all) disciplines across campus; as a result it can be so diffuse that it is hard to know who might be working on similar problems, or might be able to bring their expertise to assist you in your work. Therefore, to bring together a community of people interested in data visualization, I’m starting this series of online monthly meetings where we can meet one another and expand our knowledge of data visualization.
Anyone is welcome to come. No data visualization experience is necessary. Whether data visualization is the focus of your research, or you are just trying to add a figure to a paper, this group is for you. This group is created with students, faculty, and staff at the University of Calgary in mind but people from elsewhere are welcome as well.
What will happen at these meetings? This will be up to the group; I have a variety of ideas and there will be ample time for further suggestions as well as discussion what might be of interest at the first meeting.
To fully participate please be ready with:
- paper and coloured pencils/pens/crayons for the sketching activity
- link or image of an interesting visualization from your area of study or elsewhere that you'd like to show to the group
Agenda (Meeting #5)
- Welcome and Self-Introductions
- Review of 10+10 Sketches from last meeting #3 [10 minutes]
- Introduction to Data Wrangler (simple tool for manipulating data) [10 minutes]
- Bring a Visualization [10 minutes]
- Visualization Sketching [30 minutes]
- Next Meeting's Plan
If you'd like to hear announcements about future meetup groups sign up for our mailing list at https://mailman.ucalgary.ca/mailman/listinfo/datavisualizationmeetup-l.
Related LibGuide: Data Visualization by John Brosz
- Friday, April 23, 2021
- 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- Time Zone:
- Mountain Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.