Facilitated by an instructor from the International Institute for Qualitative Methodology (IIQM) at the University of Alberta, this full-day workshop is targeted for NVivo beginners on the Windows platform. NVivo 11 is installed on all workstations in this lab, but participants can bring their own laptop if desired. U of C affiliates can download a licensed copy of NVivo from the IT Software Downloads page.
This workshop is taught by IIQM, requires pre-registration, and costs $250 for students, or $350 for non-students. This workshop is open to the general public, as well as all members of the U of Calgary community.
This one day hands on course will walk you through the basics of NVivo and provide you with enough information to get you started in your own project. In this course we will:
- discuss participant goals, provide an overview of NVivo and learn the NVivo workspace
- learn how to create a new project in NVivo using supplied sample data
- import and organize documents and other file formats (e.g., PDF, datasets) depending on participant goals
- create and learn how to manage coding structures, practice coding and learn how the coding can be displayed and exported
- create memos and annotations to reflect on the data and analysis process.
- review and practice word frequency and text search queries
- explore the data by using comparison and explore diagrams
- discuss good housekeeping and tips for working in teams, learning resources and other topics that vary with time and participant interest